Support MXGM’s effort to end racial profiling and the murder of Black and Brown people by Police. Take a moment to sign the petition below and get justice for Oscar Grant, Adolph Grimes and Robbie Tolan.
In the span of 24 hours between December 31st, 2008 and January 1st, 2009, three Black men were the victims of racial profiling at the hands of various law enforcement agencies throughout the US.
- Oscar Grant, a 22-year old father, was shot and killed by Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) police while laying face down and handcuffed after leaving a New Years Eve party.
- Adolph Grimes, was killed after being shot 14 times, 12 times in the back, by several New Orleans police officers in front of his home after leaving a New Years Eve celebration.
- Robbie Tolan was critically shot in the back by police in Bellaire, Texas, a suburb of Houston, after being falsely accused of a suspected robbery of his parents SUV.
Racial profiling is the product of the systematic denial of the human rights of non-European peoples in the United States. In “Blueprint for Change”, President Barack Obama promised to end racial profiling and to expand hate crime statutes, including the Mathew Shepard Act, which will deem crimes against gay, lesbian, and transgender people hate crimes. We demand that President Obama live up to his campaign promises and take immediate action to end the discriminatory and deadly system of racial profiling.
- The Federal Department of Justice (DOJ) must intervene in all three cases and charge all the officers involved with murder.
- The creation of a special commission in the DOJ to systematically eliminate all racial profiling policies, practices, and operational procedures in all the law enforcement agencies throughout the country.
- Legislation that eliminates racial profiling and deems it a punishable human rights violation in compliance with the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (ICERD) be introduced and passed.
Malcolm X Grassroots Movement